Cellulite tends to cause a lot of panic in women and has been doing so for decades. Cellulite is that dimpled-looking fat on your thighs, hips, butt, and belly. We all know it is hard to get rid of, especially since in our DNA. Luckily, there are many things we can do to prevent it (or at least slow down its development).
Here are a few things that may be causing your cellulite:
- Sitting all day: Some of us are lucky enough to have a job that doesn’t require us to sit at a desk all day. For those of us that are, standing up at your desk or a specific time portion of the day can be helpful. Making a few minor changes in your daily routine can lead to a healthier lifestyle.
- Lack of muscle: When you build up muscles, it decreases the appearance of dimpling skin. Increasing lean muscle mass is a great way to reduce the appearance of cellulite in a tangible way.
- Eating unhealthy foods: When you eat many refined and processed foods, you are encouraging cellulite to form. Remember, our skin is the largest organ of detoxification in the body. Your bad diet will attempt partial secretion through the skin, where toxicities and metabolites bundle together in tissues.
- Inflammation: High levels of inflammation caused by stress, poor nutrition, and food intolerance can worsen cellulite. The more often your tissues are inflamed, the more swollen they will appear.
- Dehydration: Since the human body is made up of 60 percent water, it is not surprising that dehydration contributes to cellulite buildup under the skin. Drink plenty of water to aid your body in metabolizing fat, get rid of toxins, and hiding cellulite with thicker skin.
- Too much sun exposure: The damage the sun can cause to our skin is the number one way to ruin the quality of your skin. Over time, it can give your skin a rough, aged appearance.
- Genetics: Sometimes, trying to prevent cellulite from appearing is something we can’t control. At some point, some of us need to accept that we are genetically predisposed to getting cellulite. If your mother and grandmother have cellulite, you’ll more than likely get it.
At Marin Medical Aesthetics, we offer patients a non-invasive cosmetic treatment to help them achieve their skin goals without the time, expense, and discomfort of cosmetic surgery. This includes diminishing the appearance of cellulite. Give us a call today at (415) 785-4604 to learn more about our treatment options.